Sunday, February 10, 2008

My reflections on celebrating Hari Raya Puasa with my family last year

Part A of Lit assignment

Composed by Khalis Bin Zailan 2e8

Hari Raya Puasa is a festival that is celebrated by every Muslim aound the world. After fasting for a month in Ramadhan which is the month before Hari Raya Puasa, it is time for us to celebrate and eat. It is the best time of the year to me because I can eat as many food to my heart's content and enjoy the sugary goodness of sweets and cakes. Mouth-watering dishes are often served too.

But before the goodness comes, early in the morning on the first day of Hari Raya Puasa, we are encouraged to go to the mosque and pray. It usually ends at nine. On that day, I will always wear the Baju Kurong which is a Malay traditional constume. When I wear the costume, I usually get sweaty as it is rather warm and thick. While we were putting money into packets which would be given to children, my mom prepared us some scrumptious meals for breakfast.

After enjoying breakfast, we went to visit our grandmother's house first. She lives with my uncle and cousins. Over there, my brothers and i had fun playing with our cousins. We were playing the Playstation 2 and spent quality time talking to each other. Then, we "gobbled" down some delicious dishes. At the end of our visit, we received the "duit raya" which means money from our uncles and grandmother. The money is placed in packets like the Chinese "Hong Bao". I love getting the "duit raya" from my relatives.

At night, it was time for our relatives to visit our house. During the afternoon, my mom had prepared many varieties of mouth-watering dishes like Lontong served with ketupat, Mee Goreng and the main course, Honey-Roasted Chicken. When the visitors came, we served glasses of carbonated soda and some desserts as well as kuihs. After the guests have eaten all the dishes and left nothing on the plate, they took a rest and relaxed on the sofa while watching our plasma screen television. A few minutes later, we went outside to play party poppers. The guests left our home at night at nearly one in the morning.

I indeed had a whale of a time during this fun-filled day. I put on some weight and my piggy bank became full with cash. I wish that eveyday is Hari Raya Puasa.

The End

What are the comparison and contrast of my experiences with Jess's experiences during the celebration of our different festivals?


Part B of lit project

Composed by Khalis bin Zailan 2e8

There are some similarities and differences which Jess and I experienced when I am celebrating Hari Raya Puasa and when Jess is celebrating Easter. This similarities and differences are:

Similarities:

1) Jess and I went to our places of worship during his Easter and my Hari Raya celebration.

2)Jess brought along his friend to the church during Easter and coincidently, I also brought along my friend to the mosque during Hari raya.

3)Jess bonded with his family during Easter and I did the same thing during Hari Raya.

4)The both of us celebrated our festivals with delight and joy.

5)Jess's and my family sang songs when celebrating our festivals.


Differences:

1)Jess when to the church during Easter but I went to the mosque during Hari Raya Puasa.

2)During Hari Raya, I got to enjoy a variety of food but Jess did notget to eat any mouth-watering meal.

3)On Hari Raya, I recieved money from my relatives but Jess did not on Easter.

4)During Hari Raya, my family and I visited our relatives but Jess and his family did not during Easter.

5)Jess's mom did not prepare any food during Easter but my mom cooked delicious meals on Hari Raya.

It seems that the differences and similarities that Jess and I experienced when celebrating our festivals are balanced.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work. I guess everyone loves duit raya :) I enjoyed reading about the way you celebrate Hari Raya. Thanks for sharing. work hard for your group.
3a) 14/20
3b) 12/20