Sunday, February 10, 2008

Part A and B ( Jeslin )

Chinese New Year

Part A of lit assignment

At Chinese New Year Eve, after the celebration in school, I went to my first uncle’s house at around 5p.m, awaiting the Lunar New Year to come. My father went there to play mahjong with my other relatives. There was actually nothing to do there except watching television. We had steamboat for dinner and I played with my sisters in the guest room untill 2p.m. My father finally decided to go home. We reached home at about 2.30p.m.
On the Chinese New Year itself, due to the late night sleep the day before, I woke up at around 2p.m.Without wasting anymore time, I immediately changed into my rightful attire. Then, I went straight to my grandmother’s house. I received a paltry sum of money from the red packets my mother’s side’s relatives gave. At around 7p.m, I went to my fourth uncle’s house. We had buffet for dinner and my fourth aunt cooked shark fin and abalone soup. As the soup was very delicious, I drank several bowls of it. The fragrant rice coupled with the tangy chilli sauce, whetted my appetite. I received even more red packets as my father has more relatives. My father and my fourth uncle are twins therefore they have the same friends and they all arrived at my fourth uncle’s house. It’s like a small gathering to us. Their friends come from different religions. There are Indians, Eurasian and Chinese.
The most spectacular thing was about to begin at 10p.m. The adults gathered around a round-like table and started gambling cards. They gambled a few hundred dollars one round. I heard that the three bankers lost around twenty thousand in all. The greatest winner was an old man near his 70s. He gambled $500 per round although he does not work. He won about ten thousand dollars. How I hoped the tons of notes on the table were mine. The game continued till 6 a.m. in the morning. I reached home at about 6.30a.m. It was very tiring.
On the second day of the Chinese New Year, I woke up late at around 3p.m. I then set off to my second aunt’s house. I ate lunch there, which were just some normal home-made dishes. Again, my father went to play mahjong. Feeling bored and tired, I slept till 6p.m.Around 6.30p.m, the lion troupe, that my cousin participated in came to perform. The noise was very loud that caused the light holder to drop, dogs to pee and my little cousin to cry. We only had a short celebration, unlike the other days due to school the next day. Therefore we went home earlier.
I like Chinese New Year as I can receive many red packets although the amount of money decreases gradually every year. It is also like a small family gathering, as we would see all our relatives continually for 3 days. I am looking forward to Chinese New Year 2009.

part B of lit assignment

Similarities
----Jess felt bored during celebrations and I felt bored too.
----I sing songs during Chinese New Year like what Jess did.

Differences
----I do not go to religious place during Chinese New Year but Jess when to the church.
----Jess’ sister Brenda and Ellie quarreled with their mother during Easter about their clothes but in Chinese New Year. My families are not supposed to quarrel.
----In Chinese New Year I got new clothes but Jess did not.
----Jess would bring his friend (Leslie) along to celebrate but I could not bring any.
----Jess did not visit or meet any of his relatives at Easter but I went to visit my relatives at Chinese New Year.
----I ate a sumptuous meal but jess did not.

The differences is more than the similarities.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winning 10 000 must have been something but you need to put in a high stake too :) I think its best you just eat and have agood time with the relatives :)
3a) 14/20
3b) 12/20